Core-Mark International – Westlake, TX
The Director of Safety leads the Company’s Safety program and is ultimately responsible for having an effective workplace Safety program and culture in place. The Director of Safety develops, and oversees the general health and safety policies and procedures for the company. Ensures the workplace complies with OSHA and other state, local, and industry-specific rules and regulations, and that periodic safety compliance audits. Develops and enforces programs that ensure a safe workplace, including safety orientations, skill training, emergency preparedness, proper job instruction, hazardous materials management, and the proper use of protective equipment. Develops a systemic process to collect data and analyze the causes of accidents and generate required reporting.
- Leads the company’s safety efforts and collaborates with executives, managers and employees to develop the company’s Safety culture.
- Oversee and assist facilities with Local, State and Federal regulatory compliance including OSHA, EPA, DOT & DHS State and local agencies.
- Manages the safety observation and near-miss reporting processes and sues the processes to drive future improvement in accident avoidance.
- Conducts incident investigations in conjunction with Facility and Operations Management to collaborate with insurance carriers to manage claims.
- Coordinates with HR on leave administration and corrective action processes relative to work related illness and injury.
- Leads accident prevention, cost reduction, return-to-work programs, and other activities related to illness and injuries.
- Works jointly with all business segments to improve operation efficiencies and reduce Health and Safety related risk and cost.
- Educates and trains employees on Company policies and local, state, and federal regulations.
- Willingness to travel
Skills & Experiences
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety related discipline or other related degree
- 5-7 years hands-on safety experience with in a warehouse/distribution, manufacturing, or transportation operation
- Considerable experience with occupational safety, transportation safety, and environmental compliance is preferred
- Has attained or is working toward certification in safety (CSP)
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
- Physical ability to regularly lift, carry, and position: up to 10 lbs. regularly, up to 25 lbs. frequently, and up to 60 lbs. occasionally.
- Physical ability to handle objects, tools, and/or controls.
- Physical ability to stand for a significant period of time and walk continuously.
- Physical ability to occasionally bend, kneel, crouch, climb, reach, or crawl.
- May require the ability to operate and/or be certified on various powered equipment.
- The warehouse environment with have exposure to a variety of noise and potential extremes in temperature.
At Core-Mark, we know your power comes from your overall well-being and the well-being of your family. That’s why we offer a comprehensive benefits package that supports the health of you and your family. As a part of our family, your benefit offerings include:
- Highly Competitive Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage
- Health Savings & Flexible Spending Accounts
- Core-Benefits Life, Disability, & Employee Assistance Program all paid for by Core-Mark
- Work/Life Balance Sick Leave, Vacation Time, Holidays, & Tuition Reimbursement
- Financial Wellness 401(k) Plan with a 50% match on the first 6% contributed, Group Voluntary Benefits, Pet Insurance, Commuter Benefit, Employee Discounts, & Scholarship Opportunities for children of employees